Sunday, January 28, 2007

Planning your vacation early

I wish I could tell you how many times I have to give a client news like- the ship is sold out, the property is sold out, the airfare is over $1000 per person.

I hate to have to disappoint clients but when they are looking to book a vacation very close to the departure date, it is happening more and more. People are traveling again. For 2007 summer vacations, Europe and Alaska are more popular than ever. Prices during peak summer months are pretty high and the availablity is getting lower.

I just got 3 calls this week for clients who want to travel in the next 2 1/2 months. Sometimes we can luck out and I can get them what they want for the prices that they want and sometimes I can't.

LB wanted a trans-Atlantic cruise on April 1 and was upset that all of the oceanview cabins were sold out. He had to switch to plan B which was a 10 nite Caribbean cruise. He is looking at a South Pacific cruise in September and I suggested that we book that cruise now as well.

DM wanted to get away for Easter week and go to an adults only all inclusive. The properties have availability but the air is outrageously expensive. She hasn't booked yet and I'm not sure that I'll be able to get her non-stop air to Jamaica at this point.

LS is a new client and she wanted to book the Riviera Maya at the end of February. Normally that is a bit quieter (in between President's week and Spring Break) but the airfare was high and a lot of the hotels that I would have recommended, like the Iberostar Paraiso Lindo and the Maya were already sold out. They were able to get the Aventura Spa Palace and I think they'll be happy there.

I know there will always be clients who can't plan very far ahead. I just wish that I didn't have to disappoint them when I can't get excactly what that want, when they want it.

No comments: